Location: Seattle, WA
Size: 2,660 SF (P1) 5,725 (P2)
Cost: $70/SF (P1) $218/SF(P2)
Completed: 2001(P1) 2003 (P2)
Photography: William Wright
Rhodes Architecture + Light designed this group of four residences around a central court, multiple tiered gardens, private gathering areas and “public” community spaces.
Located above the Olmstead-designed Lincoln Park and looking west to Vashon Island and the Olympic Mountains, the land had been owned by Mary and Lloyd Anderson since 1932. The Andersons started and ran Recreational Equipment Incorporated (REI) from the site after 1938.
Rhodes Architecture + Light designed an extensive renovation of the original farmhouse in 2000 and three new residences in 2001. All four houses surround a large garden dedicated to Mary Anderson who was a Master Gardener. We were asked to incorporate the soul of the original farmhouse in small (under 2000 square feet), carefully crafted houses that were sensitive to the site.
Anderson Gardens was designed with Kristina Monroe, structural engineer, LightWire, lighting design, Rosemary Woods, interiors, and was featured in NW Home and Garden Magazine, Cottage Living Magazine, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, and the West Seattle Herald.
View Next: Queen Anne